HOW TO REPORT A STUDY ABROAD
The procedure for Study Abroad coursework varies depending on your type of program and how it is reported by your domestic institution. Please go through the checklist below to determine how to report your experience and contact SOPHAS Customer Service with any questions.
IMPORTANT: This procedure has changed since last cycle. If you are re-applying, please read through this section carefully.
1. STUDY VIA AN OVERSEAS U.S. INSTITUTION:
- Did you study at any of the schools on our Overseas U.S. Institutions List? (you can view this list further down this page) If so:
- Report the school from the list and list your coursework under the Overseas school and during the transcript review process you would mark these courses as “Study Abroad.”
- A transcript sent to SOPHAS directly from the Overseas U.S. Institution is REQUIRED.
- Common schools which fall under this category: RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LONDON and JOHN CABOT UNIVERSITY
2. STUDY VIA ANOTHER U.S. INSTITUTION:
- Did you use another U.S. school’s program to study abroad, or study via Semester At Sea, SIT or a CEA study abroad program in their Global Campus Network? If so:
- Report the U.S. school whose program you used, and list your coursework under this U.S. school and during the transcript review process you would mark these courses as “Study Abroad.”
- A transcript sent to SOPHAS directly from the U.S. school is REQUIRED.
- COMMON SCHOOLS which students study through: ARCADIA UNIVERSITY, BUTLER UNIVERSITY, UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA (Semester at Sea), UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (CEA Global Campus Network), and SIT (School for International Training).
3. STUDY VIA A STUDY ABROAD COMPANY, DIRECTLY VIA YOUR UNDERGRAD, OR ANY OTHER METHOD:
- If your FULL CREDITS AND GRADES for these courses appear on your undergraduate transcript, then you should list these courses normally with the rest of your undergraduate work. During the transcript review process you would mark these courses as “Study Abroad.” No additional documentation is necessary. Do NOT report your study abroad school as a foreign institution. Acceptable grades include A-F, Credit, Pass, etc. “TR” for “transfer” is NOT an acceptable grade, nor are credits and grades which do not match those on the rest of your undergrad transcript (ie. the grades are not U.S. grades). If your courses have grades of TR, or are recorded in foreign grades, please use the second option below.
- If your CREDITS AND/OR GRADES for these courses DO NOT APPEAR on your undergraduate transcript, you should report that you attended a foreign institution. You do not need to list your courses under the foreign school, as SOPHAS does not allow foreign coursework to be recorded. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTATION UNLESS AN EVALUATION IS REQUIRED BY YOUR SOPHAS PROGRAM. Please check with your SOPHAS program to determine if they will require a foreign evaluation.
IMPORTANT: SOPHAS no longer recognizes study abroad company transcripts. If you studied abroad via a company such as IES, ISA, CIEE, DIS, etc., please use option #3 above to determine how to properly report your study abroad.
OVERSEAS U.S. INSTITUTIONS LIST (click to expand)
- Abu Dhabi University
- American College Dublin
- American College of Greece
- American College in Jerusalem (closed in 1976)
- American College of Switzerland
- American College of Thessaloniki
- American University of Armenia
- American University Beirut
- American University in Bulgaria
- American University in Cairo (now known as Cairo American University)
- American University of Paris
- American University of Rome
- American University of Sharjah
- Anglo-American University
- Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
- Franklin College Switzerland
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar
- Hebrew Union College (Jewish Institute of Religion)
- Huron University in London
- John Cabot University in Rome
- Lebanese American University
- McDaniel College in Budapest
- Northwestern University in Qatar
- Richmond The American International University of London
- Texas A&M University at Qatar
- United States International University in Nairobi, Kenya
- Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar
- Zayed University
Q: I accidentally sent my foreign transcript to SOPHAS. Can SOPHAS return it to me or forward it to my public health school or program?
A: NO. Under no circumstances can SOPHAS forward your foreign transcript to a third party, including returning it to you. Any foreign transcripts received by SOPHAS will be discarded.