- TRANSCRIPTS ARE REQUIRED to be sent to SOPHAS from all U.S. and English-speaking Canadian institutions you have reported in the “Colleges Attended” section of your application. SOPHAS can NOT process your application without receiving all of your transcripts.
- DO NOT SEND FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS. CARIBBEAN and FRENCH CANADIAN schools are also considered FOREIGN. SOPHAS will NOT accept these documents and they will be destroyed. Please see the “Foreign and French Canadian Transcripts” section of our instructions for detailed instructions.
- TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE OFFICIAL AND SENT TO SOPHAS BY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS:
A. ELECTRONIC TRANSCRIPTS
SOPHAS accepts electronic transcripts from Credentials Solutions and Parchment only. If your school does not offer either of these services, your transcript must be sent by mail. Please note that use of these services does not expedite the processing of transcripts.
If your school requires that you use a service other than Credential Solutions or Parchment, you should ask that service to mail the transcripts instead of sending them electronically. Since you cannot include the Transcript Request Form, you should include your full SOPHAS ID # when entering the SOPHAS mailing address.
Click here to see if your school offers the Credentials Solutions service. If your school is not listed, your transcript must be sent by mail. If your school is listed, click here and follow the instructions to proceed. Once your transcript is requested, it takes 7-10 business days for it to post to your application. If your transcript is not posted after this timeframe, contact Credential Solutions directly to confirm the order was completed, then contact customer service.
Click here to see if your school offers the Parchment service. If your school is not listed, your transcript must be sent by mail. If your school is listed, click here and follow the instructions to proceed. Once your transcript is requested, it takes 7-10 business days for it to post to your application. If your transcript is not posted after this timeframe, contact Parchment directly to confirm the order was completed, then contact customer service.
B. OFFICIAL PAPER TRANSCRIPTS
Transcripts must be addressed and mailed to SOPHAS directly by the Registrar’s Office. This is a policy of the public health schools and programs and is non-negotiable.
Note that the following receipt of transcripts will be rejected and discarded:
- Transcripts not received directly from the institution.
- Transcripts addressed to you, a public health program, school, or any address other than SOPHAS.
- Photocopied or faxed copies of transcripts.
- Transcripts marked as “Issued to Student” or similar wording.
- Transcripts sent to your school directly or to the Association of Schools & Programs of Public Health (ASPPH).
To have a U.S. or English Canadian official paper transcript sent to SOPHAS:
- List your schools in the “Colleges Attended” section BEFORE requesting any transcripts. Ensure you have listed your schools correctly as per the Colleges Attended instructions.
- Click the blue “Download Transcript Request Form” button under each school you have listed and print it out. SOPHAS strongly recommends that you advise your registrar’s office to attach this Transcript Request Form to your official transcript. This form helps SOPHAS properly match your official transcripts to your SOPHAS application. However, this form is NOT REQUIRED. If you cannot use this form, please ensure your transcript has the word “SOPHAS” and your full SOPHAS ID# printed directly on it by the registrar before it is sent.
- Contact the registrar at EACH institution you attended and request ONE transcript be sent to SOPHAS. You only need to submit ONE transcript from each school which you attended, regardless as to how many programs you are applying to.
- Provide the registrar with the following items:
- The SOPHAS Transcript Request Form
- Any school-specific forms the registrar requires
- Any transcript fees the registrar charges
- All information the registrar needs to properly identify you in the school’s database
- Any name changes if your name on your SOPHAS application is different
- Your SOPHAS ID#
- The SOPHAS mailing address (see below)
IMPORTANT: If you are requesting a transcript online, we understand you cannot include the transcript request form. Instead, include the word “SOPHAS ID#” and your FULL SOPHAS ID# when you are typing our address into the field for where you want the company to mail the transcript. This way, your SOPHAS ID# will print onto the transcript as part of the address label and we can match your transcript to your application.
- Confirm with your school that your transcript has been mailed to SOPHAS and on what date it was sent. Some schools have processing times that vary, and processing your request can take some time, especially near the end of a semester. Some schools may hold your transcript from being sent until the semester is over.
- Monitor your SOPHAS messages to ensure your transcript is received. You will receive a notification here, in addition to an email, when your transcript posts to your account. On average, it takes 7-10 business days for your transcript to post to your SOPHAS application from the date it arrives at our offices. Once your application is submitted, you can also see your transcripts listed on your “Program Status” tab with a date received.
- If your transcript has not been posted to your application after 10 business days (which do not include weekends or holidays) from the school mailing it, it may need to be resent. Please contact SOPHAS customer service to follow up on your transcript. Confirm the date this transcript was mailed by the school to SOPHAS and have this information available when you contact us.
SOPHAS MAILING ADDRESS:
SOPHAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9111
Watertown, MA 02471
It is the applicant’s responsibility to monitor their application for transcript receipt, even after you have submitted your application. SOPHAS will NOT notify applicants concerning missing transcripts. If it has been longer than 10 business days and your transcript has not been posted, the materials must be resubmitted. You may view the status of your transcripts at any time after submitting in the “Program Status” section of the “Manage my Programs” section. You also will receive email notifications when each transcript posts.
SOPHAS is not responsible for any materials lost in the mail or for delays caused by the Registrar’s Office. Express or certified mail does not guarantee expedient processing, and sending transcripts express or certified mail does NOT guarantee receipt by SOPHAS.
WHAT COULD DELAY THE POSTING OF MY TRANSCRIPTS?
The following problems can cause delays in processing and should be avoided whenever possible:
- Transcript is not accompanied by a Transcript Request Form.
- Transcript is accompanied by the incorrect Transcript Request Form.
- Transcript is not addressed specifically to “SOPHAS.” We receive mail for over 30 application services; therefore your documents MUST specify you are applying to the SOPHAS service in order to be processed.
- School is not listed on the applicant’s SOPHAS application under “Colleges Attended,” preventing SOPHAS from processing the transcript upon its arrival. SOPHAS cannot attach a transcript to your application unless the school is listed.
- The incorrect school’s name is listed on the applicant’s SOPHAS application under “Colleges Attended.” and therefore SOPHAS cannot attach it until it is corrected.
- Name on transcript cannot be found in the SOPHAS database, either because the applicant’s name has changed, the name is misspelled on the transcript, the name is misspelled on the SOPHAS application, or the applicant has not yet created a SOPHAS account.
WHAT COULD CAUSE SOPHAS TO REJECT MY TRANSCRIPTS?
The following problems can prevent transcripts from being accepted should be avoided whenever possible:
- Transcript is unofficial, marked as student issued, or is addressed to someone other than SOPHAS.
- Transcript is missing pages or has been severely damaged in the mail.
- Document received by SOPHAS is not a transcript.
- Transcript does not belong to the SOPHAS applicant but to another student at the school, oftentimes with the same or a similar name. This often occurs because applicants do not provide enough information to the registrar when requesting the transcript. Please be sure to provide your schools with as much information as possible to allow them to identify your records properly.
For overnight delivery of transcripts ONLY:
SOPHAS Transcript Processing Center
c/o Liaison International
311 Arsenal Street, Suite #15
Watertown, MA 02472
Q: If I have attended multiple colleges and transfer credit is listed on the transcript of my primary institution, do I still need to send a transcript from each school?
A: YES. You are required to send ONE transcript from each college you have attended regardless of the number of courses you have taken or what your SOPHAS programs require.
Q: Should I send my high school transcript?
A: NO. SOPHAS does NOT accept high school transcripts under any circumstances. To report university-level credit earned while a high school student, these courses must be reported under the college or university which awarded you the credit. This includes both Advanced Placement or dual-enrollment credit.
Q: Do I need to send transcripts for planned or in-progress coursework?
A: NO. You are only required to send transcripts covering all of your completed coursework. SOPHAS does NOT require transcripts for coursework labeled as “planned/in-progress.” Please note that when you do complete these courses, updated transcripts should be submitted directly to the schools to which you are applying.
Q: Do I also need to send copies of my transcripts to my SOPHAS programs?
A: In general, you only need to submit transcripts to SOPHAS. Some SOPHAS programs, if you reach a certain point in the admissions process, may request additional transcripts at a later date, while others will not. You should your SOPHAS programs directly to determine if they require any additional transcripts.
Q: I have a different name on my transcript than on my application. Will that cause a problem?
A: This can delay the processing of your transcript, but there are steps you should take to minimize any difficulties. FIRST, fill out the “materials under another name” section under “Personal Information.” SECOND, ask your registrar’s office to physically write your current name and SOPHAS ID# on your transcript. FINALLY, include the transcript request form with your transcript. If you have done step one, your former name will print out on this form.
Q: Can I send transcripts which are on file at Interfolio or a career center?
A: NO. All transcripts must be sent to SOPHAS directly from the registrar at each institution you attended.
Q: Why won’t you accept “student issued” transcripts? They still say “Official Transcript” on them.
A: As a result of numerous forged transcripts having been received by SOPHAS, SOPHAS is no longer authorized to accept transcripts from any source other than the registrar. If transcripts are marked issued to student, issued to student in a sealed envelope, official transcript issued to student, “Issued To:” or “Send To:” the applicant’s name and address, indicates the transcript was picked up by the applicant, or is addressed to anyone other than SOPHAS it renders the transcript INVALID. This decision was made by the schools and programs of public health to prevent further fraudulent activity. SOPHAS can NOT make any exceptions to this rule. If SOPHAS receives a student issued transcript, it will be rejected and SOPHAS will notify you to resend an official copy.
Q: My school won’t issue a transcript to SOPHAS and must use my name. What do I do?
A: SOPHAS can accept transcripts issued to an applicant’s name and address as long as they are accompanied by a letter from the school’s registrar’s office stating their policy for addressing transcripts and confirming that the transcript was mailed by the registrar to SOPHAS directly. The transcript still can not have an “Issued to Student” or “Student Copy” stamp and may not be picked up by the student. Transcripts without this letter will not be accepted.
Q: I have a hold on my school account and cannot request a transcript. What do I do?
A: SOPHAS will NOT process an application which is missing an official transcript due to a hold at the applicant’s former institution. Applicants who have holds on their accounts MUST resolve the matter with the school in question PRIOR to applying, regardless as to the circumstances surrounding the situation. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Q: Transcripts do not exist for me at a particular school. What do I do?
A: If you do not have a transcript for a school you attended, SOPHAS REQUIRES that the school you are missing a transcript for send us a letter from the registrar’s office confirming no transcript exists for you and the reason why. Contact customer service if you have any questions.
My school has closed since I attended. How do I obtain a transcript?
A: When a school closes, they are not permitted to destroy transcripts and those records are usually given to another institution to take care of. A quick Google search of your school’s name and “transcript” will usually tell you where your transcripts are stored and who to request them from. If you cannot determine where these records are, you should contact the State Department of Education in the state which the closed school was located. They may have your records on file there, or tell you where they are located. If the records have been lost, SOPHAS REQUIRES a letter from the State Department of Education in the state the school was located stating that the transcript records no longer exist and why.
Q: Can I e-submit my application before my transcripts are received by SOPHAS?
A: Yes. Once you have successfully filled out your application, you can e-submit it to SOPHAS at any time. However, your application will not be processed until SOPHAS has received all of your official transcripts, at least two letters of recommendation and your payment.
Q: I sent a transcript with more than one campus on it, but only one campus is showing as received by SOPHAS. What do I do?
A: When we receive multiple campus transcripts, only the first campus is listed until you submit your application. Once you e-submit, all of the campuses should automatically list as received. If this does not occur within 24 hours, please contact SOPHAS Customer Service immediately.
Q: Can my designated programs view the transcripts I send to SOPHAS?
A: YES. The transcripts that you are required to send to SOPHAS are visible electronically to your designated program(s). Please note that upon a program’s request, you may still be asked to send an official transcript directly to the school.
Q: Can SOPHAS forward my transcripts to me, my schools and programs, or schools and programs not affiliated with SOPHAS?
A: NO. As per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), SOPHAS may not release transcripts to anyone other than your designated schools and programs, including other schools and programs or the applicant themselves.
Q: If I need to overnight my transcripts, which address do I send it to?
A: You will need to overnight your transcripts to: SOPHAS Transcript Processing Center, c/o Liaison International, 311 Arsenal Street, Suite #15, Watertown, MA 02472.